Overview of UK cookie consent rules
EU law requires organisations placing cookies through websites onto visitors’ computers to obtain their “consent” after providing clear and comprehensive information about how cookies are used on the websites.
In order to comply with this, we have taken four steps:
- Identified cookies and other tracking technologies served through this website, the purposes they fulfil, and related information such as their expiry and whether they are first or third party cookies.
- Assessed the intrusiveness of these cookies on visitors’ expectations of privacy, based on the information collected.
- Provided ‘clear and comprehensive’ information about website cookies with the appropriate level of disclosure corresponding with the intrusiveness of each cookie.
- Decided on an appropriate strategy for obtaining consent for website cookies, taking into account their use and intrusiveness. Certain types of cookie may qualify for legal exemptions and, where this is the case, consent will not be required for these cookies.
The consent strategy that is appropriate for any given type of cookie will depend on the intrusiveness of that cookie, taking into account:
- who serves the cookie (i.e. a first or third party)
- what data the cookie collects
- what purposes it fulfils
- how long it endures
- the nature of the website through which it is served.
Prior consent for websites targeted at audiences with particular health issues: This website targets audiences with specific health issues. Due to the categorisation of health-related data as “sensitive” under European data protection laws, collection of cookie data through this website is considered intrusive. For this reason, we have adopted a prior consent model for certain cookies served through this website.
This site may use and combine such passively collected anonymous information to provide better service to site visitors, customise the site based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve the site for your use. Such information is not combined with personally identifiable information collected elsewhere on the site unless you have consented.
You can change your cookie setting here:
Links to other websites
How to contact us